Saturday, August 06, 2011

Culture Shock

Definitely feeling the culture shock as I try to settle into daily life in New Delhi, India. My experience has been so different from my experience in Japan. Daily life can be hard here. For instance, I had to buy some groceries and I had to cross a street full of potholes, avoid the stray dogs, jump over the dung, and then cross before the oncoming cars! It felt like something out of an Indiana Jones movie!

I finally found an apartment (thanks to my family)! It's a great place and it's my little bubble away from all the chaos, crowds, dogs, monkeys, etc. that make up India. I started teaching at my school and so far I've just hung out with the teachers. They're really friendly and always tell me that I speak Hindi very well (although I think that I need to practice)! I think some of the teachers were confused because they thought I was from India. Then they heard my American accent and they were surprised! I hope to start teaching classes soon and really want to meet all the students.