Monday, October 31, 2011

Golden Temple!

Shubh Deepavali! Happy Diwali! Diwali in India is like New Year's mixed with Mardi Gras and Carnival! Diwali in India is truly a sight to behold! There are lights everywhere! It was amazing to see the lights, fireworks, and colors during Diwali. While flying out of Delhi and into Amritsar, I actually witnessed the beauty of all the lights from the airplane! It looked like something out of a movie! I also got an opportunity to see the Golden Temple in Amritsar. It was lit up with diyas (small lamps) and lights and looked beautiful. The Golden Temple is one of the best sights in the world. I have to add tons of pictures! I also visited several Sikh gurdwaras (prayer halls) and the Wagah Border. Overall, it was a great trip. I also learned a lot about the Sikh religion and met some great people in Amritsar (at my hotel there were people from LA, NY, Santa Fe, and Florida). One of the highlights was visiting our driver Lalli's home in the pind (village) and meeting his entire family. I even got a chance to bhangra with them!

P.S. I still have to add trip pictures and a description of my trip to Kolkata! Another sight to behold. Durga pandals everywhere! Oh, and Happy Halloween!